How to certify a document

During the pension transfer process problems can sometimes arise, particularly if you’ve changed your name or your home address. Because of these changes your old pension provider might be keen to double-check your identity, and one of the ways they may do so is by asking you to provide a certified document.

What is a certified document?

A certified document is a document that’s been signed by a professional or someone of ‘good standing’ to confirm that it’s a ‘true copy’ of an original document. Typical certified documents a pension provider might ask for include:

  • Passports
  • Photocard driving licences
  • Letters from a government department
  • Bank/building society or credit card statements
  • Gas, electricity or council tax bills

Who can certify these documents?

Each pension provider will have specific rules on who can and can’t certify a personal document, but generally speaking you ought to find that any of the following can help you:

  • Bank or building society official
  • Councillor
  • Minister of religion
  • Doctor or dentist
  • Chartered accountant
  • Solicitor or notary
  • Teacher or lecturer

The person you ask shouldn’t be:

  • Related to you
  • Living at the same address as you
  • In a relationship with you

Alternatively, some Post Office branches offer a document certification service for a small fee. Your provider will require a receipt from the purchase, along with your certification form.

You can find PensionBee’s own list of approved certifiers here.

How to certify a document

To certify a document simply take a photocopied copy and the original and ask the person to certify the copy by:

  • Writing ‘Certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me’ on the document
  • Signing and dating it
  • Printing their name under the signature
  • Adding their occupation, address and telephone number

Witnessing documents

To have a document witnessed, simply have someone sign in the relevant section or next to your signature.

The person you ask must be at least 18 years old and shouldn’t be:

  • Related to you
  • Living at the same address as you
  • Have financial or other interest with you

About PensionBee

PensionBee combines all of your old pensions into one new online plan, so it’s easier to keep track of your savings. Use our pension calculator to see how much you should be saving into your pension each month and start meaningfully planning your retirement today.

Related articles:

Risk warning

As always with investments, your capital is at risk. The value of your investment can go down as well as up, and you may get back less than you invest. This information should not be regarded as financial advice.

Last edited: 20-10-2022

Ready to consolidate your pensions?

Get started in 5 minutes. Why not take a look now and see how easy it could be to take control of your pensions?

Get started now

Mobile PensionBee analytics chart
Mobile PensionBee analytics chart
Apple Store logo Google Store logo

Have a question?Call our UK team020 3457 8444

Monday-Friday: 9:30am-5pm